A kitchen remodel requires a large investment in time, energy, and money. Since families spend a great deal of time gathering in the kitchen, this special space should reflect your personal style and address your specific needs. “Consumers often make the mistake of looking to what’s trending or what their family or friends like,” explained Michelle Mangini, Cabinet Design Consultant for Alexander Lumber in Cortland. “It’s important to love the space you live in, especially with families spending more time at home.” Here are 5 things to consider when planning a kitchen remodel:
1. How long do you plan to live in your home? “This will affect how much money and time you’ll want to put into the process,” said Mangini. “If you’re selling soon, you’ll want to stay within a reasonable price point and follow current trends in your area.”
2. Do you need a whole kitchen remodel? “If an entire remodel seems out of reach, don’t let that stop you,” added Mangini. “By repainting your current cabinets, switching hardware, adding decorative molding, and adding a new countertop and backsplash, you can get a new look for a fraction of the cost.”
3. Start the process early and create a budget. This will give you time to make important decisions and help keep your stress level low. Think about what you like and dislike about how your current kitchen works (or doesn’t work) for you.
4. Consider investing in storage and organizational components. “Ensuring adequate storage is paramount when remodeling your kitchen,” said Mangini. “Interior cabinet organization items like rollout shelves and space management products add convenience and efficiency.”
5. Find a trusted kitchen designer. “A kitchen designer can help you through the entire project,” said Mangini. “They are with you step by step, help settle your anxieties, and help determine your budget and your style. At Alexander Lumber, we offer free design consultations, which we can conduct virtually.”
For more information, contact your nearest Alexander Lumber location and speak to one of our talented designers to begin your kitchen remodel.